The Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts is seeking a qualified New Testament Greek scholar to serve in the role of Digital Collection Research Fellow.
CSNTM is a non-profit organization based in Plano, TX with a mission to preserve handwritten copies of the Greek New Testament using high-resolution digital imaging and share the manuscript images online in a freely accessible library. CSNTM also, through study and cooperation with other institutes, documents the transmission and history of the New Testament and participates in the great and noble task of determining the wording of the autographa of the New Testament.
These documents are foundational for New Testament scholarly research and all modern Bible translations. Our work directly serves New Testament scholars and students, Bible translators, art historians, pastors, and many others. Our work educates people about the history of the Bible, supports improvements in Bible translations, and provides answers for many of today’s most significant questions about the Bible.
This member of the CSNTM Research Team provides primary support for the post-processing, storage, cataloging, examination, and study of conventional and multispectral images of New Testament manuscript artifacts and other documents relevant to the history of the New Testament. The Digital Collection Research Fellow will also participate in organizational research projects, digitizing expeditions, writing projects for publication, presentation at scholarly conferences, and teaching the general public online, in person, and through publishing.
If interested, please email a cover letter and résumé by email to both Dr. Daniel B. Wallace, CSNTM’s Executive Director, at email@example.com, and Mark Gaither at firstname.lastname@example.org. Begin the subject line with: DCRF2022.
- Diligent, self-starter
- Helpful attitude
- PhD required
- Proficiency in Koine
- Expertise in NT Textual Criticism
- Superb writing skills
- Oversee all post-processing of conventional and multispectral images collected through digitization (all needed training and resources will be provided)
- Oversee the storage and cataloging of document images after digitization or acquisition
- Maintain the CSNTM in-house manuscript database with locations, metadata, and other relevant information, which guides the Center’s expedition planning
- Coordinate the publishing of digitized or acquired images on the CSNTM Web site
- Identify and/or participate in research opportunities on New Testament manuscripts, New Testament textual criticism, and other issues related to the field of biblical studies
- Research and write papers and articles for publication in academic journals and other publications for scholars
- Present papers at relevant academic conferences and represent CSNTM when not presenting
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and other Research Fellows on the transcriptions of Greek New Testament manuscripts
- Join pre-digitization expeditions as required to examine manuscripts, prepare metadata documents, and build goodwill with holding institution staff
- Join digitization expeditions as required to capture high-resolution images of manuscripts using conventional and multispectral imaging equipment
- Assist the Research Team on leading students and volunteers in collation and Scripture-indexing
- Assist the Research Team with intern assignments, grading, seminars, and intern meetings
- In collaboration with other staff, research, draft, edit, and proofread written pieces for the newsletter, CSNTM Web site, and other publications for non-scholars
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven ability to research and write articles for peer review and publication
- Proven ability to present at academic conferences
- Comfortable learning and using computer and electronic technology
- Can teach and write for non-scholarly audiences
- Works collaboratively within a multidiscipline team
- Able to travel without restriction within the United States and internationally
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits package including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance: multiple plans offered (employer covers 75% of premium for you and your dependents)
- Life Insurance ($10,000 covered by CSNTM), additional plans available
- Retirement: 401(K) and employer matching contributions up to 5%
- Paid time off: 15 days plus 10 paid company holidays
Download PDF here: Digital Collection Research Fellow Job Description